I am an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) since 2016, and mum of three children aged 15, 13 and 10. I currently see clients at my office at 3 Landscape Road (above Fiacla Dental) in Churchtown.
In 2023 I graduated with an MSc in research at the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Systems in UCD. I undertook qualitative research on the experiences of women breastfeeding with primary low milk supply. I am an occasional lecturer on breastfeeding and lactation-related modules in UCD. I also teach breastfeeding/lactation seminars for GP-training schemes and other 3rd-level healthcare-related courses and I am available as a conference speaker.
I am passionate about supporting and empowering women in the early days of new motherhood, and helping them to have an experience of breastfeeding that they are happy with. Breastfeeding has been a big part of my life since I had my first baby in 2008 – feeding him, training as a Cuidiu breastfeeding counsellor (I was a volunteer with Cuidiu for 10 years), having two more babies and then finally qualifying as an IBCLC! I am also a fully qualified yoga and pregnancy yoga teacher with 13 years teaching experience.
Here are some articles I have written:
Severe HSV-1 Mastitis in a Breastfeeding Mother Severe HSV-1 Mastitis in a Breastfeeding Mother (elacta-magazine.eu) (if you email me I can send you a PDF of this article)
Infant Feeding with Insufficient Glandular Tissue Infant Feeding With Insufficient Glandular Tissue | All4Maternity
Breastfeeding and Angelman Syndrome Case Study http://www.alcireland.ie/case-study-breastfeeding-and-angelman-syndrome/
Breastfeeding and Hyperemesis https://www.hyperemesis.ie/get-help/hg-and-breastfeeding/
The First Hours After Birth http://yogadublin.com/blog/2017/03/10/the-first-hours-after-birth-and-why-they-matter
Previous Conference Presentations:
- ILCA 2023 Conference in Las Vegas – “Instagram and the IBCLC: Ethics, Misinformation, Privacy and Maternal Mental Health”
- IABLE Online Abstract Presentation Day August 2023 – Overview of qualitative research on women’s experiences of breastfeeding with Primary Low Milk Supply
- iLactation 2022 Online Conference – “Providing sensitive and person-centred support to mothers with Primary Low Milk Supply.”
- ALCI In-Person Conference 2022 – “The Purple Hearts Breastfeeding Support Group”
- ALCI Online Conference 2020 – “The How, the Why and the What of At-the-breast Supplementation”
- ALCI In-person Conference 2019 – “Getting Started in Private Practice” Workshop
- ALCI In-person Conference 2017 – “Bodywork and Breastfeeding”
I am available to present at conferences on the following topics:
- Changing Perspectives on Breastfeeding and Lactation through the Four Waves of Feminism.
- Instagram and the IBCLC: Ethics, Misinformation, Privacy and Maternal Mental Health
- The Devious and Underhand Tactics Employed by Infant Formula and other Non-Code Compliant Companies on Social Media Platforms
- The Three Pillars of Effective Breastfeeding Support: Establishing Rapport, Supporting Breastfeeding Self-efficacy and Providing Individualised Care
- Getting Started in Private Practice
- Understanding how Breastfeeding Difficulties can impact Maternal Mental Health
- Providing Skilled and Sensitive Lactation Support to parents who have Primary Low Milk Supply
- Breastfeeding with Insufficient Glandular Tissue: Understanding the Practical and Emotional Challenges
- Investigating Low Milk Supply: Is it Perceived, Secondary or Primary?
- Becoming a Mother in the Shadow of Primary Low Milk Supply
- The What, the Why and the How of At-the-Breast-Supplementation
- Breastfeeding Twins
- Helping Parents with Comfortable Positioning in a way that supports Breastfeeding Self-Efficacy.
- Why an Understanding of the Embodied Dimensions of Breastfeeding and Lactation should inform Lactation Care and Support.